Tuesday, 19 January 2016

Roar like a dragon: Voice Recognition and ME

In this post I will discuss the benefits and drawbacks of using voice recognition software when you have ME or CFS. 

 

Pootling along

For years now I've spent most of my days in bed, either laying down and resting listening to an audio-book or the like, or propped up with pillows and cushions for support for my arms. I have my laptop on a little table that goes across my bed. I use the vertical mouse as it is easier on my wrist and arm. I found that as long as I didn't spend too long writing a document or surfing the Internet I could tolerate this level of activity without excessive symptom exacerbation.

All good things…….

However, more recently I have been experiencing significant pain, aching and fatigue in both my arms. Despite extended rest, this has not resolved. Already isolated physically, as I am rarely well enough to leave the house, I was also becoming more isolated in my virtual connection with the outside world. So what to do?

Enter stage left voice recognition software

Over the years I have toyed a few times with purchasing voice recognition software but had been put off by the cost and some less than favourable reviews. However on reading the more recent reviews it appears that although voice recognition is not at the level of the computer on the Starship Enterprise the technology has improved substantially.

I got clicking, gave my credit card fair warning and ordered Dragon Naturally Speaking. 

Using Dragon Naturally Speaking voice recognition software

You can achieve a fair bit with just minimal voice training of the software. There is an interactive tutorial which took me about half an hour, and it's enough to get you going with the basics. For best results you need to be aware that the software has to learn how you speak. As well as the Interactive Tutorial there are also lengthy passages of text which you can read out loud to help the program learn how you speak. I read for about seven minutes before the software told me it had collected enough information. One thing this taught me is that I do not have a career reading audiobooks ahead of me!

Learning a new language

Having used this software for a couple of days I have found it a bit like learning a new language, albeit a simple one. It is worth learning the command phrases, although they are not always intuitive. For example, the command "scroll down" takes you to the bottom of the page. To scroll down the page the command is "start scrolling". You can also voice control the speed of scrolling. "Page down" is a useful alternative to scrolling.

Training your Dragon

There may be some words you pronounce in a certain way that the software has
trouble understanding. One of the words that Dragon struggled with was "scrolling" which it insisted on interpreting as "scrawling". Now it may be that I just can't get my teeth round the word "scrolling" in the normal way or it is my Suffolk accent. However often I said it I just couldn't get it right. 

Handily though you can "train your Dragon" so that it transcribes a specific word as you wish. So if there is a command that you can't get Dragon to comply with try speaking it into a document to see whether or not Dragon understands your pronunciation correctly. When speaking a command word or phrase into a document you need to hold down the shift key otherwise Dragon will just carry out the command.

Benefits and shortcomings

Dragon works best when you speak in phrases or sentences. That way if there is a word that is unclear the software can use context to decide which is the best match. It really is very clever. And once you are on a roll you can dictate considerably more quickly than typing.

I can, using Dragon, navigate around my email program, Thunderbird, compose, send and delete emails, and move between folders. Dragon is also useful for scrolling up and down webpages in Firefox. It can be used to click on some buttons but this is variable depending on the page. However it works well for entering text in forums.

I found it relatively easy to write and amend a WORD document, it's a matter of getting a handle on the appropriate commands. And of course I used it to write this blog post.

Drawbacks

On the minus side, Dragon does take quite a bit of getting used to and you do need to invest some time in teaching it how you speak and learning the relevant commands. I do slur my words when I am tired and this reduces the accuracy of voice recognition. Also you do need to be cognitively alert enough to remember the commands and to be able to order your thoughts so you can speak in phrases or sentences.

Dragon does come with a short list of commands on a card, but it could do with being much more extensive. I found the headphones that are supplied with the software a bit uncomfortable, so I just rest them on my chest or on the pillow next to me.

Available online is a lengthy 295 page PDF which describes in detail what you can do with Dragon. A link is here.

Overall though, for me this has been a worthwhile purchase.

And finally.....

If like me you are in the habit of muttering the odd rude word in frustration when your computer doesn't do what you want it to, then it is probably worth proof reading documents very carefully if they are for wider circulation.

Billy who likes to purr into the microphone


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the trouble to comment. I'll review your comment as soon as I can.